- Cervical spondylosis is also known as cervical osteoarthritis or neck arthritis.
- It is a common age related conditions
- It will affect the joints and discs in your neck.
- It develops from the wear and tear of the cartilage and bones found in your neck.
- Bone spur
- This extra bone can press on delicate areas of the spine such as spinal cord and nerves results pain.
2. Dehydrated spinal discs
- The gel like materials inside this disc which acts as an shock absorber while lifting, twisting and other activities can dry out over the time.
- These causes your bone to rub together more which can be painful
3. Herniated Discs
- The leakage of gel like material through the cracks developed in the spinal disc can press on the spinal cord and nerves.
- This results in arm numbness and sciatica.
- Injury to your neck
- Ligaments stiffness
- Over use
- Repetitive strain injury
- Cervical spondylosis often develops as a result of changes in your neck joins as you become age.
- Neck injuries
- Repetitive stress
- Genetic factors
- Being over weight and inactive.
- Symptoms can range from mild to severe. It can develop gradually or suddenly
- Common symptom is pain around the shoulder blade.
- Pain along the arm and in the fingers.
- The pain might increase when standing, sitting, sneezing, coughing, tilting your neck backwards.
- Muscle weakness
- Hard to lift the arms or grasp object firmly
- Stiff neck.
- Tingling or numbness in shoulders and arms. It can also occurs in legs.
- Physical examination
The physical examination includes testing your reflexes checking for muscle weakness or sensory deficitis
Testing the range of motion of your neck
2. Imaging test.
X rays – For checking bones per and other abnormalities.
CTScan – MRI to locate pinched nerve
EMG – To measure your nerves electrical activity
- Stretching muscles of your arms, shoulders and neck.
- Tracktion application
- Hot pack and cold pack application
- Using collar neck
- Muscle relaxants – Used for muscle spa sans
- Narcotics – Used for pain relief
- Anti epileptic drug
- Steroid injection
- Getting rid of part of your neck bone