- This is the most flexible joint in the human body
- This joint is formed by the union of humerus,scapula and clavicle.
- Shoulder is made of 2 separate joints
- (a)glenohumeral joint
- (b)acromioclavicular joint
SHOULDER INJURIES AND DISORDERS
The shoulder injuries include sprains,strains,dislocation,tendonitis,bursitis,rotator cuff injuries,frozen shoulder
Fractures and arthritis.
- Shoulder problems are treated with â€œRICEâ€
Other treatments includes exercises,medicines to reduce pain and swelling.physiotherapy and surgery if other treatment doesnâ€™t works
Brachial plexopathy is pain along with decreased sensation in the arm and shoulder due to a nerve problem.
- The nerve usually involved in this case is brachial plexus.
- Damage to the brachial plexus can be caused due to direct injury to the nerve.
- Stretching injuries
- Pressure from tumors in the area
- Damage due to radiation therapy
- Birth defects that put pressure on the neck area
- Numbness of the shoulder,arm or hand
- Shoulder pain
- Tingling sensation
- Burning pain
- Weakness of the shoulder,arm,hand and wrist
Test that may be done to diagnose this condition may include
- Blood test
- Chest x-ray
- MRI of head neck and shoulder
- Nerve conduction tests
- Nerve biopsy
- Ultra sound
REHABILITATION PROGRAM or PHYSICAL THERAPY
- Preserve range of motion
- Improve strength
- Manage pain
- Early mobilization and icing done at onset of injury
- In subacute phase passive to active motion
- Assisted active range of motion
- Heat,tens,ift,used for predominant symptoms
- Cervical muscle strengthening
- Use of appropriate slings
- Protection of extremities and joints
- Prevention of subluxation
- Cervical pillows and collars may be required.
- Maintain range of motion in the shoulder.
- Fabricating appropriate orthosis to support the functions of hand.
- Addressing edema control
- Retraining activities of daily living.
HAND AND WRIST EXERCISE.
- Hand and finger exercises are safe to do while the affected arm is in a sling
- While your arm is immobilized in a sling you should not move your shoulder or elbow
- Use your other hands to assist movements
- All these movements should be repeated a number of times.